[cosmo-dev] Performance?

Randy Letness randy at osafoundation.org
Thu Jan 3 06:39:51 PST 2008

Alan Lord wrote:
> Hi all and a Happy New Year,
>
> As some of you know by now, I'm running a home built SVN (rev 6439) of
> Cosmo on my own Tomcat installation.
>
> Cosmo works nicely most of the time, but after a "bit" of activity it
> seems to really load my server and almost grind to a halt.
>
> TOP (I'm running Tomcat on Linux) reports around 99.5% CPU
> utilisation, sometimes I get the "Java Out of Memory" error but not
> always...
>
> The platform is a VIA CN700 Processor @ 1.2Ghz with 1 Gig of RAM. I
> allow Java to have up to 900Mb in the startup script with:
>
> JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} -Xms900m -Xmx900m -XX:PermSize=128m
> -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
>
> although in "top" I never see more than about 350M taken by it.

Are you running a single tomcat process or multiple?  What else is
running on the system?  Are you running the default Derby database or
are you using MySQL?   This may be a typo, but your JAVA_OPTS line is
missing a double quote and should be:

JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} "-Xms900m -Xmx900m -XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

I usually run cosmo with a max heap size of 512M and never get
out-of-memory errors even when hitting the server with 10+ users.

> I also have a CRM application running in tomcat from what was centric
> but is now called ConcourseSuite by Concursive Corporation. That seems
> to be quite happy all of the time.

Do you know how much memory this application is using?

> Real useage is pretty low - only two/three users max, a few calendar
> collections and Cosmo is being accessed by Lightning, Cosmo's Web UI
> and sometimes the Chandler Desktop.

How big are the collections?

> I realise the code is still not finished, as it were, but is there
> anything I can do to help track down the problem?

Can you run just the cosmo war and see what happens?  It seems like the
system is thrashing, which points to not enough memory.

-Randy