[cosmo-dev] RFC4791 HTTP REPORT and Cosmo

Sam Halliday sam.halliday at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:30:19 PDT 2008

Thanks Randy,

Is there any way to use the CalDAV protocol using entirely GET and
POST methods? Using REPORT and PROPFIND are seriously problematic,
especially when considering a mobile client. In J2ME for example, the
HttpConnection only allows GET, POST and HEAD

http://java.sun.com/javame/reference/apis/jsr118/javax/microedition/io/HttpConnection.html#setRequestMethod(java.lang.String)

although I believe it is possible to obtain raw socket connections
with something such as Connector.open("socket://host:port")

J2SE has something similar... HttpUrlConnection only supports GET,
POST, HEAD, OPTIONS, PUT, DELETE and TRACE

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/HttpURLConnection.html#setRequestMethod(java.lang.String)

which means that in order to use REPORT or PROPFIND, one must pretty
much write the entire HTTP layer from scratch!

I suppose it is far too late to try and persuade the RFC folk that
REPORT and PROPFIND might not be as wise as originally thought...