[Cosmo-dev] Hub 500 errors

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Wed Sep 19 10:44:44 PDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Jared Rhine <jared at wordzoo.com> wrote:

> 33 errors are 501s against /cmp/signup.  My best interpretation is there
> was 1 user (based on IP) who tried 19 times to sign up with Opera 9.23.
>   Another user (different IP) tried 5 times to sign up with Opera 9.10.
>   A third user tried 9 times with Opera 9.23.  All users were on Windows.

what method was being reported? 501 is "method not implemented". guess
there's no way to tell if there was an override header, eh.

> 39 errors are 500s against /mc/collection.  There are 2 authenticated
> users and one ticket.  The ticket is 0.7.1.dev-r15338, 1 auth is 0.7.0.1
> PPC, the last 0.7.0.1 intel mac.

well that's not good at all.

> Maybe not a 500, but right before one, I see a WARN:
>
> 2007-09-19 09:36:55,039 WARN  [EventExceptionValidator] event validation
> error
> net.fortuna.ical4j.model.ValidationException: Property [DESCRIPTION]
> must be specified once
>          at
> net.fortuna.ical4j.util.PropertyValidator.assertOne(PropertyValidator.java:107)

the mc operation that put this item into the server should have failed
with a 4xx status due to this vaidation error. if it failed with a
500, that's a bug.

> The info from the Cosmo logs is probably all there is.  Additional data
> gathering probably requires painful network tracing to see the actual
> messages returned over the wire in the 500 response body.

is there any way to automate extract the error and warn level log
entries? the ideal would be to put them on the web and email us the
url every day. we should treat every 500 response as a bug.