[Cosmo-dev] Requirements for Windmill tests running on tinderbox

Ted Leung twl at osafoundation.org
Mon Jun 4 15:05:24 PDT 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 2:48 PM, Mikeal Rogers wrote:

>> At some point, we ought to be able to use the same workflow that
>> is used on the desktop, where the Windmill tests are run on each
>> dev's checkin, and a failing test should then be the
>> responsibility of that developer that checked in.   I don't think
>> that we need to get managers involved for individual tinderbox
>> breakages.
>
> The tests are getting really long. Right now it takes 20 minutes,
> but that's going to at least double when we add dashboard testing
> to the mix. I'm not sure if we want to make that part of the pre-
> checkin process if they are taking that long.

The Chandler tests are longer.   There's two separate issues here:

1. Developers should be running the Windmill tests before the check
in major functionality changes -- this is independent of Tinderbox
2. A Tinderbox run is schedule every time a developer commits.   That
Tinderbox run should run the Windmill tests.  If that Windmill run
fails, then something in the associated checkin is the likely culprit
- tracking that kind of stuff down doesn't seem like something that
ought to require managerial intervention.   Besides, someday the
person checking in might not even work at OSAF, at which point
getting managers involved won't help much.

Ted