[Cosmo-dev] testing with the same .ics files

Jeffrey Harris jeffrey at osafoundation.org
Wed Jul 11 09:56:42 PDT 2007

Hi Folks,

>> If indeed 2 people can download a file off of icalshare.com, import it
>> into Chandler (or other CalDAV client), and attempt to publish to the
>> Hub only to have the second person's publish fail, I am very concerned
>> about that behavior.

Randy and I discussed this briefly, and I think there are two approaches
we could take post-Preview to this.

One would be to change Chandler to create random UUIDs for events
imported from iCalendar.  This would probably fix the problem Randy
describes for iCalendar data, but it wouldn't solve it for the general
case (if I publish a public event as EIM, say).

Another approach would be to change Cosmo's storage model.

In the fullness of time, I'd prefer to change Cosmo's one-UUID-space
model.  This would obviously be more work, but I think this is the root
problem.  If Chandler and the Hub are successful we're not going to want
everyone having write access to anything they can determine a UUID for.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey