[Cosmo-dev] Buttons, buttons

Matthew Eernisse mde at osafoundation.org
Wed Feb 14 13:41:34 PST 2007

I'd like to propose we ditch the table-based, multi-graphic buttons we
currently use in favor of something simpler and more standards-based --
a styled 'button' form-input.

The prototype I've worked up uses just a single background graphic with
some CSS positioning magic to do the rollover/default states, and CSS
border-color changes to do the button-down state:

http://www.fleegix.org/demo/buttons.html

(The prototype also shows roughly what the new dialog box will look like
with the drop-shadow added.) You can see both active and dimmed-out buttons.

This is a huge win for us in terms of connection costs, and I think the
result is still really pretty. Mimi seemed to agree. It also will give
us substantially simpler code, and get us at least a step in the right
direction toward accessibility.

Anyone have any objections to this switch?

Matthew