[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo 0.6.1 status update

Ted Leung twl at osafoundation.org
Thu Apr 19 16:12:31 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

I just wanted to summarize what I know about Cosmo 0.6.1
situation...  After the Wednesday IRC QA session, we found a lot of
bugs, both in Cosmo and in Chandler.    We have not been able to
complete a complete cycle of "publish a calendar and then subscribe
to that calendar", which is one of the more basic scenarios.   I
think that we should be expecting the Cosmo 0.6.1/Chandler
integration testing period to go beyond the time that we've
planned.   Exactly how much longer is still up in the air.

There are a few things that we are going to do in order to try and
speed things up.

1. There is a long cycle between the time that Randy fixes a bug and
that fix appearing on qacosmo.   In order to cut that cycle time, QA
will start using the server hosted on Randy's workstation, which
should always be up to date.   This will start happening in earnest
on Monday, since Randy will be on an airplane tomorrow.

2. We don't want Randy to be idling until the next set of bugs come
it (this happens because we are finding bugs in the same ICS file,
and since the new sharing operations are atomic, failure means that
nothing gets published, which means that no further testing can be
done.   Aparna has volunteered to get a bunch of different calendars
and try to publish them, in order to increase the rate of bug discovery.

If people have other ideas for improving the process, it would be
great to hear them.

I am going to try to give a daily status update on how things are
going for Cosmo 0.6.1 testing, at least until we get the interop
situation on firmer ground.

Please do follow up with questions, concerns, suggestions, and (dare
I say it) patches.

Ted