[Cosmo-dev] Data migration testing for 0.6.1

Aparna Kadakia aparna at osafoundation.org
Tue Apr 10 15:12:49 PDT 2007

Hi Jared,
Migration testing is definitely on our radar.  In fact we just
discussed about it and having a migration test plan in today's QA
staff meeting.
We haven't forgotten the pains from our last experience.

See further comments line..

On Apr 10, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Jared Rhine wrote:

> We had a spirited time with the data migration during update last
> time osaf.us was updated.  What things do we want to do differently
> for the osaf.us 0.6.0.1 to 0.6.1 update?

Have a migration test plan for one.

> I haven't seen "data migration" testing on 0.6.1 test plans (sorry
> if I missed them), so I'm sorta assuming that osaf.us-focused
> testing will again be the driver for testing of the Cosmo data
> migration features. That's perfectly fine; that's one of the
> reasons osaf.us is there and I'm happy to be heavily involved.

Yes, osaf.us-focused testing will indeed be the driver.

> When would people like to see a first migrated-data test instance
> of osaf.us be made available?
Ted just confirmed that Cosmo 0.6.1 is feature complete (barring any
compatibility bug fixes). Dev unit testing is underway this week. So
lets target on getting the first migrated test instance of osaf.us to
be available next week, Monday or Tuesday. We could then use that for
Wednesday's IRC QA session.
In the meantime we will run the migration scripts on the limited data
we have on qacosmo to filter out any obvious bugs.

> How is QA thinking of the migration testing?  Who's on point?
> Should we document our migration test plan, and when?

We probably need to sit down with you one of these days and discuss
about what things we would like to be covered, above and beyond what
is already on the 0.6.1 test plan. Mikeal is your point of contact
for migration.

> I think we are likely to have the same approach to data migration
> testing: part automated, part manual.  Automated testing will use
> Mikeal's ICS-comparison script, and manual testing will revolve
> around volunteers looking at their private data in a migrated-data
> test instance during dedicated IRC sessions.
Yes, we are definitely planning a few IRC test sessions around 0.6.1
and we should cover migration testing during that.