[Cosmo-dev] Re: [Design] [cosmo] [proposal] [last call] Sign up for an account + adding the currently viewed collection

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Tue Apr 10 11:50:12 PDT 2007

On 4/10/07, Travis Vachon <travis at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> The way it is currently implemented, this comes down to the
> difference between authorization and authentication. Non-"activated"
> users cannot authenticate, while non-"administrator" users are not
> authorized to perform certain tasks. While I'm open to revisiting
> this idea it would require some additional research and auth/z layer
> code.

we could certainly implement a state in which the user is
authenticated but not activated, but i think it adds complexity that
we don't need. i believe i have proposed a perfectly acceptable
solution to the problem of subscription-on-signup that doesn't require
this sort of half-alive half-dead existence.