[Cosmo-dev] [Proposal] Release terminology

Priscilla Chung priscilla at osafoundation.org
Tue Sep 26 22:09:56 PDT 2006

There's been some confusion over the Cosmo release terminology. Some of
the terms used have had different meaning for Chandler releases.

I'd like to start a discussion by proposing terminology we use to
describe the following activities:

*Milestone* (ie. dot releases 0.5, 0.6 , 0.7 etc...):
This is a production release. When all the features are complete for a
milestone, we branch the code for QA/release and roll on to osaf.us for
production.

*Snapshot* (no formal designation):
Whenever we are adding one or more high risk features, there will be a
snapshot of the code when the feature is complete and run QA tests. We
do not branch the code; developers fix bugs against the trunk.

*Alpha*:
I'm going to suggest that we not use the term 'Alpha' for Cosmo as a
designation. If features are not finished within a milestone, then the
team will decide what features to drop and put into the next milestone.

*RC*:
Release candidates happen on a milestone branch once its been branched
and before its released.

Suggestions?
-Priscilla