[Cosmo-dev] simplifying eimml

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Thu Nov 30 16:35:07 PST 2006

On 11/30/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> The above looks incorrect to me, btw; the elements should be item:uuid,
> note:uuid, etc., as there's no "core:uuid" in the EIM, nor do record type
> namespaces ever overlap.

ah, i took that from morgen's original xml proposal.

> Why?  Well, for example, yesterday Morgen and I hashed out an all-purpose
> diff-processing, attribute-filtering, *and* conflict-detecting sync
> algorithm for processing *arbitrary* EIM records for *arbitrary* parcels
> and schemas.  It seems a waste to have to reinvent all those wheels for
> one-off static formats.

nice. got that written up on the wiki in english (as opposed to python)? :)

> What about forcing Morgen to write two different sharing formats during
> a5?  :)  Because it seems to me that that's what you're
> proposing.

it's not what i was proposing, but if that's the effect, good to know :)

> Chandler needs a general EIM exchange format for database dump
> and reload support, schema evolution, and sharing interop with multiple
> client versions.  The idea of having an general EIM transport format is
> that it allows the transmission schema to be varied independently of the
> transport format, so we're coding serialization and deserialization once --
> and only once.

oh, so you were going to use eimml for dump and reload? i guess i
should have realized that but did not.

ok, back to the drawing board!