[Cosmo-dev] Struts to Spring merge this weekend
travis at osafoundation.org
Thu Nov 2 13:52:06 PST 2006
I'm planning to do merge my Spring/ Dojo work into the trunk this Sunday
between 12 and 6. That should provide a nice quiet time to make sure
things are in good working order.
As my working copy is right now, there are 2 major regressions:
- the forgot password form is unavailable (this should be ready soon, if
not by Sunday)
- the nice exception handling pages are not in place (there's a very
good chance this will be fixed by Sunday)
New features that will come out of this merge include:
- Paging/sorting support in CMP.
- A new "<administrator> tag in CMP representations of users. Its
presence indicates a user is an administrator.
- Post based/ batch user delection in CMP
- Dojo-ified "administer users" widget using updated CMP
- Dojo-ified login widget for /cosmo/login that can be adjusted with css
to look like the regular login box, a login bubble, or any of the other
nice login widgets PPD has been including in specs.
- Dojo-ified modify user widget, used for signup/ self administration/
modify user/ new user dialogs.
- Modified url scheme, discussed here:
- Dojo-ified i18n.jsp, allowing Dojo widgets to take advantage of our
server->client i18n support
- And of course, we should be able to remove the struts and tiles jars
very soon, if not immediately.
Potential issues with this merge include:
- To support the transport level authentication needed for the Dojo CMP
interactions, we're currently storing a base64 encoded version of the
user's username and password in a browser cookie. This is obviously
insecure. When I first wrote this feature, I hadn't learned about page
this cookie is only stored between page loads, but this still isn't a
perfect solution. I'm going to post to cosmo-dev some time soon about
the current state of authentication in Cosmo, taking into account the
recent PPD login workflows. In any case, Brian and I have talked, and
feel that this is an acceptable design flaw for the short term.
If anyone has any thoughts on this merge, let me know soon!
More information about the cosmo-dev