[Cosmo-dev] Re: cosmo atom publishing design doc outline

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Fri Jun 30 19:18:05 PDT 2006

(taking this discussion onto cosmo-dev)

On 6/21/06, Elliot Lee <elliot.lee at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope the formatting on this email comes through OK.

i've added the content of your original message to the wiki,
reorganizing the content a bit:

 * <http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/CosmoFeedService>
- entry point for pages discussing cosmo's feed support

 * <http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/CosmoAtomProposal>
- your original proposal

 * <http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/CosmoFeedRequirements>
- requirements for the feed service, including discussions of gdata
and calatom, and a list of use cases for live clients and for
import/export

 * <http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/CosmoFeedDesign> -
the stuff from the email i'm replying to, which we'll evolve through
discussion into a real design doc

> GData support
>
> Exporting GData means creating a feed in the GData format, based on Atom.
> Would we use Google's Java Client Library?
>  http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/client-java.html

we could potentially use the com.google.gdata.data package, which
appears to be classes that describe the gdata model (for example,
EventEntry). i don't think we'd want to, though, since that api is
dependent on the client api. it should be sufficient to continue to
use rome (or the apache library that is meant to be its replacement)
and perhaps add wrappers to deal with the gdata xml extensions.

> APIs: existing code to change
>
>  I think this might be implemented in the FeedServlet class, so a new class
> isn't needed. These methods correspond with ones currently used for Atom.

the existing feed code was essentially a proof of concept. now that we
have a much larger set of requirements, we need to put more thought
into the design of the feed service.

let's concentrate for now on understanding the requirements and
figuring out which ones we want you to address during your summer
project. over the next few days i'll draw some pictures and write out
some thoughts on how i think we need to approach this.