[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo Jackrabbit nodes

Vinubalaji Gopal vinu at osafoundation.org
Fri Jun 30 15:38:07 PDT 2006

> Since iCal4j does a lot of the hard work of parsing this type of file
> and since iCal4j is relatively well supported, would it be feasible/
> practical to extend ical4j to deal with the vcards as well? Also
> might be worthwhile to see if the ical4j developers are already doing
> work in this direction or planning on it.

A "vcard site:ical4j.sourceforge.net" search on Google doesn't show any
result and a search on forums does not give any result - so I really
doubt if any work on vcard is proposed at ical4j.

Regarding extending iCal4j to support vCard parsing, I feel that:
1. upgrading the original package(ical4j) may be a pain in case there
are lot of changes.
2. I really doubt if anything of iCal parsing will be useful, since the
vCard elements are completely different.

mime-dir-j:
After browsing the code (Readme files), I found that mime-dir-j is a
patch on top of vCard4j. But it also provides a different package with
only a set of interfaces for vcard and a minimal implementation (which
is barely useful).

The problem using vCard4j parser module:
The parsing creates a DOM and uses that DOM to create the java object
and this will be a real performance penalty.

So I would suggest designing a custom vCard parser or something better
than the above options.

> These map to WebDAV properties defined in the CalDAV spec. Check out
> http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-dusseault-caldav/#page-14 for
> instance.
Oh yeah its there. I was reading the greenbytes version of the draft and
it shows me different xml elements :(. Thanks for pointing it out.

--
Vinu