[Cosmo-dev] Performance test tool requirements

Mikeal Rogers mikeal at osafoundation.org
Thu Jun 29 16:56:51 PDT 2006

The next release is approaching, and we're beginning to do some
initial performance work so this seems like a good time to begin the
discussion about requirements for QA development on the test tools to
support the next release.

Our current test tool suite (currently being called 'broadsword') is
about to go 0.1, but they currently don't contain any of the
necessary plumbing for performance analysis. We now need to gather
requirements for 0.2 in order to be ready in time to write new
performance tests and start analysis by the time QA gets handed the
next release.

We need to know the following;

1) What tests will need to be measured (We can handle writing the
development requirements needed to fulfill the test requirements)
2) What format we want the performance analysis displayed (pretty
website, pretty graphics, text in an email?)
3) What our target hardware & platform is (we need to buy this and
begin to setup the test farm)

There are obviously many other tests and metrics that we'll need for
the hosted service, and although not all of that work is targeted for
the next release we'd like to begin to get an idea of it so that we
don't architect things in such a way that it's difficult to add any
necessary test tool features later.

-Mikeal