[Cosmo-dev] Output going in to log4j

Mikeal Rogers mikeal at osafoundation.org
Tue Jun 27 15:15:32 PDT 2006

In QA we're in the middle of writing a nice little client application
that connects to a log4j telnet appender that we can query for
verification that certain events happen in cosmo and scooby within
our emulated client test cases.

One issue we are running in to is that in many cases there is very
little or no output. One example is that when most successful
requests are fulfilled there is no output suggesting "x was created"
or "query for x return results y". There are many other places where
this kind of output would be great, at this point it seems that very
little successful operations in cosmo and scooby give output, unless
we are missing an unknown filter or something.

Another suggestion from John was to see if there was a way for us to
output all the SQL queries from derby.

I'd like to leave this open to the list, but my initial suggestion is
that we create a few new filters that will be used for log4j output
so that the current log files don't bloat due to the load of all this
new output and we can just pick these up in our telnet appender. And
I'd like to target the low hanging fruit for the next release, I
imagine there are 10 or so places that if we added some output we
would cover the vast majority of our need for the upcoming releases.

Ideas?

-Mikeal