[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

Ted Leung twl at osafoundation.org
Mon Jun 19 16:07:25 PDT 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Brian Moseley wrote:

> On 6/16/06, John Townsend <towns at osafoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> I think this is true from a technical perspective, but from a
>> business perspective.. I think GData is more likely to win. With
>> Google using GData has its means to export and import data from their
>> various online services, it will gain acceptance and wide usage
>> rather quickly (despite whatever shortcoming it may or may not have).
>
> that sounds rather like an argument for using microsoft
> technologies :)

I thought that you were the one arguing for web services
integration.  As far as I know, there are no standardized API's for
webservices.    It's hard to see wanting interop with the large web
services as equivalent to rewriting Cosmo in C#.

> i haven't yet seen any tools that use gdata. i searched this morning
> for a movable type plugin that could interact with google calendar -
> nothing. a calatom feed, on the other hand, can be integrated with
> movable type with the commonly used feed plugin. i could do this with
> cosmo-demo today.

Here are a few tools that use GData:

Drupal module <http://drupal.org/node/66207>
Java Calendar Syncing Library <http://svn.deadbeef.com/
GoogleCalendarSync/trunk/>
Sync calendar/contacts to iPod <http://johnnygizmo.blogspot.com/
2006/04/getcals-01-available.html>

> btw, the same applies to feed readers. calatom is more useful to a
> netnewswire user than gdata.
>
> anyway, my point is not that gdata sucks, but that calatom does not
> suck and is actually more useful and relevant to us. it's not just
> some toy for blog hackers.

I used the term blogpostware refers to calatom's origins on a blog
post or presentation to a small group of people, not its
usefulness.   I have no doubt that if calatom is useful that people
will adopt it and tools will get built.   But  of the two, GData has
much more visibility than calatom.   GData also has the advantage of
not being restricted to calendar data only.    All I am really saying
is that we have to choose the order in which we implement this stuff,
and that if I were implementing this support (which I am not), I
would do GData support first, and then calatom.

Ted