[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Sat Jun 17 03:03:14 PDT 2006

On 6/17/06, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> Instead of forwarding requests from one app to another, or merging
> them, let's just create another link in cosmo.

not a fan of this suggestion. i think we've been converging on
something that seems acceptable to everybody (chandler sends users to
scooby which offers different subscription mechanisms for various
clients) that we can do with no impact on cosmo at all.

> On merging cosmo and scooby.
>
> I agree that there are some benefits to merging scooby and cosmo,
> such as directly connecting to the repository. But I can't think
> about how difficult my life would be if we _removed_ the current
> cosmo web ui, it's a very important administration tool and will
> probably become even more important the more cosmo supports new
> sharing formats. If we do go in the "merge" direction I would just
> ask that, as has been suggested as a feature, turning off scooby is
> an option and we retain the current cosmo web ui.

well, once the scooby ui can handle more views than just calendar,
then the user-facing part of the cosmo repository browser becomes less
interesting. we'd certainly retain it for admin users as well as the
administration interface. whether or not we allow administrators to
turn off the calendar view shouldn't impact the rest of the ui.

> Also let's talk about the product planning and development
> implications of merging the development cycles for cosmo and scooby.
> The last time we tried to just line up the two releases we held onto
> release bits of scooby for like 6 weeks. And from my end, whenever
> releases land within a week of each other I cringe knowing that QA
> resources will be stretched so much between the releases in a short
> timeframe.

so it would be a benefit to you if we merged the two :)