[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

John Townsend johntownsend at mac.com
Fri Jun 16 14:58:48 PDT 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Mimi Yin wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand...
>
> I think it would be fine for iCal users to:
> 1. Click on a Chandler-generated sharing URL ---
> 2. Preview share in Scooby
> 3. Click Subscribe with iCal

What happens in Scooby when they click on the "Subscribe with iCal"
button? Do they see instructions on how to do it?

> As for the separate options of:
> "Subscribe with Scooby"
> "Subscribe with Chandler"
> "Subscribe with iCal"
> "Subscribe with feed reader"
>
> Are you saying that the Sharer should have these options when
> sharing collections?
> Send out 4 sets of URLs and then let the Sharee decide which one to
> use?
>
> If we generate an iCal URL and someone clicks on it from Apple Mail
> or Thunderbird, will the URL we generate automatically open up iCal
> and plop our URL into the Subscribe dialog? That's how URLS
> generated from iCal work.

I think Apple has handlers installed in Safari that can automagically
process iCal URLs. But, I don't think Firefox users would benefit
from that. Problematic at best, I think.

> Unless we get this kind of seamless integration, I think we need to
> route everyone through some kind of Web UI that allows users to:
>
> 1. Preview the contents of what they're about to subscribe to
> 2. See instructions about how to Subscribe to the share with their
> client of choice

But, what about Chandler? Are we saying the following:

1. User publishes a calendar from Chandler and then they copy that
URL into mail and mail to their friend.
2. The friend clicks that URL and is launched to Scooby and views the
calendar. They then click the subscribe in Chandler button and they
get another URL to paste into their chandler.

What happens if I paste the original Scooby preview URL into Chandler?

Is that really what we are saying? Just checking :-)

--> towns