[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

John Townsend johntownsend at mac.com
Fri Jun 16 14:51:23 PDT 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Brian Moseley wrote:

> On 6/16/06, John Townsend <towns at osafoundation.org> wrote:
>> I think this is true from a technical perspective, but from a
>> business perspective.. I think GData is more likely to win. With
>> Google using GData has its means to export and import data from their
>> various online services, it will gain acceptance and wide usage
>> rather quickly (despite whatever shortcoming it may or may not have).
> that sounds rather like an argument for using microsoft
> technologies :)

Ooohhh, that's a low blow. Even from you! :-) Point taken though.
Market forces do not a good product necessarily make. (Wow. That
sounds Yoda like)

> i haven't yet seen any tools that use gdata. i searched this morning
> for a movable type plugin that could interact with google calendar -
> nothing. a calatom feed, on the other hand, can be integrated with
> movable type with the commonly used feed plugin. i could do this with
> cosmo-demo today.
Well, keep in mind that GData has just announced in the middle of
last month. It will eventually happen. That's not to say that CalAtom
won't see adoption by others.

> btw, the same applies to feed readers. calatom is more useful to a
> netnewswire user than gdata.
> anyway, my point is not that gdata sucks, but that calatom does not
> suck and is actually more useful and relevant to us. it's not just
> some toy for blog hackers.

Point taken. I think in an ideal world, we would work with both.

--> towns