[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Fri Jun 16 14:47:47 PDT 2006

On 6/16/06, Mimi Yin <mimi at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> Are you saying that the Sharer should have these options when sharing
> collections?
> Send out 4 sets of URLs and then let the Sharee decide which one to use?

the sharer should certainly be able to access these urls from within
chandler, perhaps when looking at the properties of a shared
collection.

the sharee ought to have all of these urls in the sharing invitation
they receive from the sharer. the sharee ought to be able to go to the
scooby url and see the same links on the scooby page as well.

> If we generate an iCal URL and someone clicks on it from Apple Mail
> or Thunderbird, will the URL we generate automatically open up iCal
> and plop our URL into the Subscribe dialog? That's how URLS generated
> from iCal work.

it can, if 1) we use the "webcal" scheme rather than the "http" scheme
in the url (which i argue we should not do) and/or 2a) the user has
his browser configured to open resources of type "text/calendar" with
ical or 2b) the user chooses to open the returned content with ical
using the application chooser dialog the browser presents when it
doesn't know anything about "text/calendar".

i assume that os x has os-level knowledge of "text/calendar" and is
preconfigured to open ical for those resources.

same with a "subscribe to feed" url. the user clicks that url in mail
or thunderbird, the server sends the feed response with a media type
of "application/xml+atom", and the browser either automatically
launches the system's feed reader or presents the application chooser
dialog.

same with all of the other urls i proposed.