[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Fri Jun 16 13:48:22 PDT 2006

On 6/16/06, Jeffrey Harris <jeffrey at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> I think, from all that I've heard said so far from the PPD team, it
> would be perfectly acceptable to have Chandler construct a URL that
> pointed to Scooby and distribute just that URL.  Bobby's proposal that
> we provide various links (with appropriate metadata) to the relevant
> Cosmo share would work just fine, if we put that information on every
> Scooby page.
>
> Doing this on the URL construction end would require that Chandler know
> how to construct an appropriate Scooby URL from the URL of a Cosmo
> collection, but that's easily achieved either via some kind of
> well-known-path munging or setting a custom property on Cosmo
> collections that are linked to a Scooby instance.

okay, let's expand on that suggestion:

1) chandler does a MKCALENDAR
2) cosmo creates the calendar and responds with an calatom feed
containing links back to itself (the webdav/caldav url) and all
alternate representations of the calendar, including the scooby url,
the cosmo repo browser url, the webcal url, and the gdata url.

your proposal is for handlero to present the scooby url as the
"sharing url" and have that be responsible for sending requests from
all clients to the right place in cosmo or, in the case of ui
requests, handling them itself. i don't see this as being any big win,
since it doesn't solve the issue of multiple client types not sending
any information that scooby can use for content negotiation. it just
moves the problem from cosmo to scooby.

> I don't think it's a requirement that iCal users be able to immediately
> plug a Chandler sharing URL into iCal's subscribe dialog.  As long as
> that URL returns non-techie-friendly HTML, it should be adequate to
> include a "subscribe to this calendar in iCal" link.

the alt link in the atom feed document would provide chandler and
scooby with the ability to include such a ui link. this is my
preferred solution.