[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Fri Jun 16 13:34:43 PDT 2006

On 6/16/06, Ted Leung <twl at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> The majority of the discussion around this topic seems to assume that
> interoperabiilty, especially based around standard protocols and
> formats, is the foremost requirement for Cosmo,

i'd rather state it as: while efficiencies with ecosystem usage are
desirable, those efficiencies shouldn't cause us to make design
choices which pollute our otherwise clean interoperability story,
especially when there are completely reasonable alternatives.

> However, for beta, most of the client interoperation
> that we need to do is not necessarily with CalDAV, it's with
> iCalendar, vCard, and GData.

i don't disagree with that.

>  CalAtom is blogpostware, so
> I don't see it as a serious contender..

you misrepresent the nature of calatom. there is nothing inherently
better about gdata or less applicable about calatom. in fact, calatom
is very similar to what we've already implemented in cosmo, and gdata
is farther away due to its use of xml extensions. time will tell which
calendar-over-atom approach wins, but they're both important, and
they're much more similar than they are different.