[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

Mikeal Rogers mikeal at osafoundation.org
Thu Jun 15 14:01:33 PDT 2006

I think the wording of "Scooby as the interface for Cosmo." conflicts
with the objective of cosmo being a multi format, multi client
supporting sharing server.

I view scooby as a rich webclient to cosmo, exposing some of the best
features of cosmo and providing a chandler like web experience . But
the wording ""Scooby as the interface for Cosmo." implies that it's
the defacto interface to cosmo. If cosmo is to advertise support for
clients outside of scooby/chandler it needs it's own web interface to
display that, and for users to interface directly with cosmo.

What I like about Bobby's proposal is that the url implies it's own
use. A far more confusing situation exposes itself if we create
tickets with crazy hashes at the end that are swapped around over
various communication mediums (email, IM) and nothing about those
urls implies their use. One ticket could be read/write for chandler,
another for atom feeds, another ticket is for users to get write
access in scooby to a calendar. Bobby's proposal is simple and
elegant and the urls are self explanatory.

More in line below.

On Jun 15, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Sheila Mooney wrote:

> I just want to expand on the problem that John outlined by
> providing some more context on what we are trying to accomplish at
> a user perspective. Keep in mind these are product requirements and
> it's up to engineering to determine the best technical solution ie:
> repurposing the existing tickets or have Chandler generate some new
> type of URL. As John mentioned, you publish calendars in Chandler,
> the URLs get generated and you can send those to others to
> subscribe to. Currently in Chandler you need to cut and paste the
> URLs in order to subscribe. You could receive this in an email in
> Chandler or some other email client.
>
> Although we are accustomed to the copy/paste way of subscribing in
> Chandler, most users will want to simply click on this URL and have
> something happen. There are several scenarios...
>
> + A. I am a Chandler user, I want to subscribe to this share and
> have it appear in my sidebar in Chandler.
> + B. I am a Scooby user with a Cosmo account and I want to view
> this share.
> + C. I am neither but I want to be able to view or edit (depending
> on the url) info in this share.
> + D. I am some other type of user that wants to view this calendar
> in some other CALDAV client.
>
> What we envision happening is that when you receive a URLs and
> click on it, Scooby pops up to show you the read-only or read-write
> view of this calendar. In a way, you can think of it as a preview.
> From, there you have a series of options...

How about this;

If the intention is for people to click on an URL and open scooby,
send them http://cosmo-demo.osaf.org/webclient/bobby/HomeCalendar .
But if the intention is that they view the URL in a CalDAV client
send them caldav://cosmo-demo.osaf.org/dav/bobby/HomeCalendar, this
way their rich client (Firefox, Mail.app) can be configured to send
off this calendar to whatever external application it believe handles
caldav (Evolution, Chandler). If an url, like a collection containing
items that aren't just calendar events is intended for Chandler or
some other client that supports all the features of our new sharing
format send something new like (chandler://cosmo-demo.osaf.org/
sharing/bobby/HomeCalendar, This violates some spec somewhere I'm
sure.... probably a few specs??).

My point is just that having one URL mean many things across many
clients introduces more problems than it solves as I said above, and
instead I think a better solution is to have the urls imply their
intended medium.

> + For group C (users with no account), they can view or edit a
> calendar simply without having an account on Cosmo.

This could be done with a read ticket _for scooby_. So the ticket
would be something like href="http://cosmo-demo.osaf.org/webclient/
bobby/HomeCalendar?ticket=87568hKHJHGJT867gJ.

> + If you are an existing Scooby user, you will have some kind of
> option to login and "subscribe" to this share. Subscribing in this
> sense, means that the next time you log into Scooby, you this share
> will appear in that drop-down of all the calendars you can view.

So a read/write ticket _for scooby_.

> + If you are a Chandler user, you have an option to subscribe in
> Chandler which probably automatically launches the app, subscribes
> and shows the collection in your sidebar. Users would not have the
> same (cut and paste) subscribe workflow that they do today. You
> don't always know what you are receiving and this will allow you to
> preview the collection before subscribing.

I think the scooby webclient should display the url for viewing
Chandler, so if you send around universally web readable scooby urls,
scooby has a link to view the same calendar in Chandler. And example
we be how Google Calendar displays a link to view in iCal.

> + If you are using some other type of CALDAV client, there might be
> an option to say, create a CALDAV URL.

Why do we need to create it? We could display the url for view in
CalDAV client the same way we show the url for Chandler, and it's
always there because the sharing server always knows how to represent
the calendar events to CalDAV.