[Cosmo-dev] Cosmo and Scooby URLs

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Wed Jun 14 21:59:00 PDT 2006

On 6/14/06, Bobby Rullo <br at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Home
> Calendar (Atom 0.3)" href="http://cosmo-demo.osaf.org/atom/bobby/
> HomeCalendar" />
> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Home Calendar
> (RSS)" href="http://cosmo-demo.osaf.org/rss/bobby/HomeCalendar" />
> <link rel="alternate" type="application/caldav" title="Home Calendar
> (CalDAV)" href="http://cosmo-demo.osaf.org/dav/bobby/HomeCalendar" />
> <link rel="alternate" type="application/webcal" title="Home Calendar
> (Webcal)" href="http://cosmo-demo.osaf.org/webcal/bobby/HomeCalendar" />

yes! i've been thinking about the best way to do this for a while. i
was inspired in this by rest and atom.

i like how your example shows different url namespaces for dav and
webcal. i'm beginning to think that's the way to go. it's unambiguous
and lets us take back GET /calendar/ for a more natural use, which is
to provide links to the resources contained within the collection as
well as, per your example, links to alternate representations of the
collection.

the only real issue we have to face is getting beyond the "one url to
rule them all" mindset.

> Note that I don't believe anyone's defined a way to do autodiscovery
> for CalDAV yet, so we'd have to take the lead here.

well, caldav defines a property on the webdav principal that returns a
list of calendar urls for that principal. a similar property could be
defined on a calendar collection to return a list of representations
for the calendar like above. lisa, is <link> used in dav anywhere? we
could of course make such a property available in addition to the
response content for a calendar GET.