[Cosmo-dev] Baselining Performance on Cosmo

John Townsend johntownsend at mac.com
Wed Jun 14 13:42:49 PDT 2006

One of the things that we would like to do in the short term is to
put in place a small set of performance tests that measure basic
operations that clients would do against Cosmo.

Once we have these tests in place, we would perform baseline
measurements in a controlled setting. With each release, we would run
these tests again to make sure that our performance in the basic set
of operations hasn't slipped.

To get things started, Brian Moseley and I brainstormed last week
about the "Top 5" operations that we should consider testing. Here's
that list:

- FoxMarks usage
   - GET a regular file (WebDAV)
   - PUT a regular file (WebDAV)
   - signup via CMP

- Chandler usage
   - MKCALENDAR (CalDAV)
   - MKTICKET on that calendar (CalDAV)
   - PUT events into calendar (CalDAV)
   - Syncing
      - PROPFIND on calendar (both large and small calendar) (CalDAV)
      - GET on resource
      - PUT on same resource

I don't have basic Cosmo usages for Scooby. Bobby, can you help me
out with that? Does anyone have anything else we should be measuring
regularly.

The plan is that once we have a final reviewed list, our QA team can
go to work creating these tests and measuring these operations with
each RC candidate that we give them. We should also be able to run
these tests in our development environments as well.

I am posting this now and planning to do a Last Call on it on Friday
morning. I hope to have a final list we can hand over to QA on Monday.

Thanks,
--> towns