[Cosmo-dev] Re: [Scooby-dev] Issue with same tools in multiple products.

Mikeal Rogers mikeal at osafoundation.org
Wed Jun 7 20:50:14 PDT 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 8:02 PM, John Townsend wrote:

> I agree with Bear on this. I think its premature to promote
> HTTPTest to a separate project and since you have a new framework
> coming, I would wait until that new work is available to establish
> it as a separate project.

I apologize for having very little documentation for HTTPTest (I'll
be writing it next week) so I'll try to explain this a bit better.

HTTPTest was written after I wrote the original proposal for the new
framework so it's written with the that framework in mind. I looked
at other test tools before I went off and wrote my own and found that
the simpler things I HAD to have weren't in them so I decided to
quickly write my own.

HTTPTest grew fast and I added a lot of features in a short amount of
time and had to stabilize it so that we could depend on the output.
HTTPTest inherits from another tool I wrote as a micro test framework
called TestObject. TestObject is simple but it is still pretty
feature rich with support for; multiple debugging levels, multiple
output masking levels, and support for a threaded stress testing
system. Even after the new framework is done I intend to keep
TestObject functional and HTTPTest will continue to support it and
the new framework.

I think I need to reiterate my main point. I don't think that we
should be certifying releases with, or bundling releases with, tools
that are not up to release quality. The main problem with homegrown
test tools is that people tend to not trust the integrity of the
testing, and sometimes look at the test scripts and tools as the
problem before believing it may be a bug in the product. The same
thing would occur with unittests if we even used an unstable unittest
framework.

Previously it was unfeasible to have the requirement that releases be
tested with release tools developed at OSAF. It's now feasible for
cosmo and scooby and I would like to move in that direction. I don't
view the issues associated with it as a burden because I think it's
the _right way_ to do things.

> One question: Where is the design proposal for this new Testing
> Framework? I don't recall seeing a design proposal on the mailing
> lists for it.

The original spec is up here (http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/
Projects/OpenAutomationFramework). Note that it is very chandler
focused because it pre-dates the existence of our cosmo and scooby
test tools and our new move towards the eco-system.

What I need to update in this spec is the major requirement that the
framework support distributed testing, which I will update as soon as
I go back to working on the framework. This framework is very
ambitious and immediate needs have superseded a lot of it's
development, but soon I'll start increasing it's priority.