[Scooby-dev] Re: [Cosmo-dev] VOTE: cosmo/scooby merge

Matthew Eernisse mde at osafoundation.org
Tue Jul 25 09:49:05 PDT 2006

Where does this idea come from that Web client won't be able to pull
data from a remote Cosmo (or other server)? The ability to pull data
from multiple sources is to me an absolutely fundamental requirement for
the Web client -- merged or not.

Even after a merge, the UI will still make HTTP requests to the backend
and get the results back as a string of JSON. An HTTP client library on
the server can easily proxy the client requests through to a remote
Cosmo server, and responses back. Any server that can produce a valid
string of JSON can serve as a data source for the Web client.

We would still have the issue of authing the user on the remote Cosmo,
and managing the list of remote servers for a user -- but that will be
the same whether we merge the two projects or not.

Matthew