[Cosmo] Re: InstanceList code

Alec Flett alecf at osafoundation.org
Fri Jan 27 15:23:15 PST 2006

Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> What this method does is expand the set of recurrences from the very
> first one out to the supplied rangeEnd. So if the start is greater
> than the end, then there will be no instances within the range and no
> need to add the first one as determined by the 'start' value.

[This is mostly for Bobby...]
We had a similar sort of epiphany in the chandler codebase - There is a
general pattern for determining if an event appears in a given week, or
month or whatever. As long as you can guarantee that for all start/end
values, start<end, then the only real important checks when checking if
an event occurs within a range is when the following is true:

(eventStart <= rangeEnd && eventEnd > rangeStart)

This covers all 4 cases of overlap between the event and the range:
1) the event starts before the current range, but ends within the range
2) the event starts before the range, and ends after the range, thus
does appear in the range.
3) the event starts in the range, but ends after the range
4) the event both starts and ends within the range

There are some subtle difference when dealing with recurrence instances
but I thought this was a useful enough tip/optimization anyway...

Alec