[Cosmo] Re: indexing all components in a calendar resource?

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Mon Feb 13 20:14:19 PST 2006

On 2/13/06, Lisa Dusseault <lisa at osafoundation.org> wrote:
> I myself am confused how you'd query VCALENDAR properties with
> CalDAV.  A client can't store a whole VCALENDAR as a single CalDAV
> resource, that would be against several of the rules of CalDAV.
> Instead, since dealing with entire calendars isn't part of CalDAV but
> instead a non-standard way of handling what Apple's iCal does, I
> would say that a server would explode out the events into individual
> resources and throw away whatever information was leftover that
> wasn't needed for interpreting those events.

even within a single caldav resource, it seems to me that the only
interesting data are the event components themselves (and later
freebusys, todos and journals), not the properties of the wrapping
vcalendar or any of the supporting vtimezones. sure those things are
potentially needed by the server to process the event (expanding time
ranges is a good example), but i don't see why any client would ever
need to query against any of that data.

> Are we missing some implication of REPORTs?

i wonder if the specification isn't just too loose in regard to what
components within a resource can be queried against. but maybe i just
haven't considered a valid use case ;)

anyway, we can drastically cut down the amount of data we have to
store and index if we are able to limit queries to just the
"important" components.