[Cosmo] Re: indexing all components in a calendar resource?

Cyrus Daboo cyrus+lists.cosmo at daboo.name
Mon Feb 13 18:28:54 PST 2006

Hi Brian,

--On February 13, 2006 5:55:00 PM -0800 Brian Moseley
<bcm at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> cyrus, i notice that the TextCalendarTextFilter indexes all of the
> properties and parameters of all components in the calendar object,
> including the outermost vcalendar as well as any contained timezones.
> is that really what you meant to do?
>
> seems to me that only the properties and parameters of the actual
> events need be indexed for report queries, but i might not know what
> i'm talking about ;)

The spec itself is not just limited to events - any iCal item, no matter at
what level or what type, can potentially be queried for. Of course in
reality how many clients will actually want to query the PRODID or VERSION
properties at the top-level. Chances are not many, but if they were to, the
server would have to do the query one way or another to be compliant. If
you wanted to reduce the size of the index you could just do events - but
then you would have to fall back to inspecting the actual iCal data for
queries on anything else.

BTW Just thinking about this: one thing you certainly do want to do is not
index the value of an ATTACH property which could be quite large and will
not contain anything worthy of a query (its usually base 64 encoded). I
guess that's one I should have definitely left out.

--
Cyrus Daboo