[Cosmo] Re: [Dev] Proposal for new automation architecture

John Anderson john at osafoundation.org
Fri Feb 10 09:20:02 PST 2006

Having written my first functional test yesterday I have some thoughts.
The biggest problem I encountered when trying to write and debug tests
is navigating all the layers:

my test <-> CATS <-> CPIA Script <-> Chandler

Fortunately I'm very familiar with Chandler, somewhat familiar with CPIA
Script and CATS is small enough to grock without much effort. However, I
suspect most developers would find all the layers daunting and trying to
debug things would only make it worse. I think it would be preferable to
make the small changes necessary to CPIA Script to make it appropriate
for testing instead of adding another layer, e.g. CATS. Similarly, I
think it's preferable to modify Chandler to eliminate some of CPIA Script.

John