[Cosmo] Cosmo release plans this month and Snarf home

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Tue Feb 7 10:50:57 PST 2006

On 2/7/06, Lisa Dusseault <lisa at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> There can be a pointer from Cosmo too.  Realistically people who go
> to a download page will see alternative downloads as equally "part
> of" the project. So if somebody goes to Cosmo download page and sees
> a version of "full install", they'll think of it as part of or a
> superset of cosmo.  Another person might start at Scooby and see the
> same pointer to "full install"

that's fine for download links. there will still need to be a place
for installation and configuration instructions and FAQs for the
integrated bundle. these docs will not be specific to either cosmo or
scooby.

> Separately from that argument, however, I don't quite see how cosmo-
> only users will be frequently attracted to a full-install including
> scooby.  What am I missing?  If it's because that's the only way to
> truly easily install cosmo, we could have yet another download
> option, for "easy-install cosmo" that didn't include Scooby.

they will be attracted to an integrated bundle of tomcat, jackrabbit,
derby, and cosmo, which incidentally also includes scooby.

sure, we could do cosmo-only and scooby-only versions of the
integrated bundle, but why? there's no cost associated with providing
both, and it's trivial for an admin to remove one if he really doesn't
want it.

i think you are overcomplicating things in attempt to avoid the
perception of "another project".