[Scooby] Re: [Cosmo] A couple big ideas: cosmo release and server project merge

Ted Leung twl at osafoundation.org
Fri Feb 3 17:01:07 PST 2006

On Feb 3, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Brian Moseley wrote:

> On 2/3/06, Ted Leung <twl at osafoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> The more I think about it, the more this seems like a shortcut.
>
> a shortcut to what?

A better/more efficient community -- the last few messages have been
about why having two communities was wrong and how we should have one
so that we can be more efficient, etc.   Today it's the case that
people working on Cosmo care about Scooby and vice versa, but I don't
think that will be true in the future.  What happens when there's
enough traffic to have *-user lists?  You're probably going to have
cosmo-user and scooby user.

> by the way, you never did define "project" for me or explain why there
> was so much handwringing about snarf. i assume it's because i made the
> Projects.SnarfHome page in the wiki. if that really is the issue, feel
> free to propose an alternative :)

A project is a community of people who are working on a code base
together.    With snarf, I didn't feel that just the packaging code/
build scripts was worth starting a whole separate community for.

You didn't like the alternative that I proposed which was that you
put the build scripts etc for snarf in a subdirectory of scooby, and
make the snarf download available from the scooby downloads page.

I'm just offering my advice here.  The cosmo and scooby teams are the
ones that have to decide what to do.

----
Ted Leung                 Open Source Applications Foundation (OSAF)
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42