[Cosmo-dev] Server-oriented releases

Jared Rhine jared at wordzoo.com
Thu Aug 24 12:39:31 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 15:46 -0700, Ted Leung wrote:
> * Do we need to think about issuing server oriented releases of
> Cosmo.  Right now we appear to be on a path where releases of Cosmo
> will be dictated by groups of UI features.  However, the hosted
> service will need to obtain features on a different schedule than the
> UI feature schedule.

The Hosted Service will take what features it can get on whatever
schedule it can get them ;)

But it is true that the osaf.us roadmap would look less 2007-heavy if
some of the server-side stuff that's supposed to be smooth and polished
and Beta were available in earlier or branched releases to allow more
time for ops "burn-in".

The working document I'm using to explore some of these dependencies is
here:

(Sparse)   : http://osaf.us/project/roadmap/default?detail=0&important=1

(Detailed) : http://osaf.us/project/roadmap/all?detail=1&important=0

This roadmap isn't vetted yet, and doesn't even have Beta features
outlined in the Sprint.  But if it's relevant to the agenda item Ted has
proposed, I'll be available to elaborate more during today's meeting.

A note about the planning: until very recently, the Hibernate dependency
looked like it should be given a couple/three months before any features
should be based on it.  As many ops features have a Hibernate
dependency, the better Hibernate looks, the less the Hosted Service will
need to "wait" or need special release handling.

--
Jared Rhine <jared at wordzoo.com>