[chandler-users] help with unclear doc in getting started...

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Mon May 25 09:42:34 PDT 2009

You're right, some things are unclear. The word 'subscription' is used in
different ways.

In iCalendar publish/subscribe terms, and in Apple iCal:

• a subscription is read-only.

In Chandler Desktop terms:

1. according to <http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/DashboardIcons> an
arrow pointing down signifies a subscription

2. a subscription to an iCalendar publication will be read-only

3. a ticket-based subscription to a collection in the account of another
Chandler user may be Read, Read/Write, or Free/Busy — depending on the type
of ticket/invitation that has been granted.

Exceptionally: if the other user shares with you their credentials (not
recommended) then the arrow in Chandler Desktop might point to the right.
Right instead of down indicates a Chandler share, not a Chandler
subscription.

Confusingly: your own collections in a single account on the Hub may be
represented by a mixture of down arrows and right arrows in Chandler
Desktop. The behaviour may depend upon whether the collection originated in
Hub or Desktop.

I have probably not answered your question! Sorry.

These subtleties and distinctions are surely too much for most newcomers to
grasp quickly. I'll definitely consider this when I review the Welcome to
Chandler page. Cross reference <http://n2.nabble.com/-tt2962767.html>

Regards
Graham