[chandler-users] Unscheduled 'to do' lists

Owen owen at owenkelly.net
Wed May 13 12:36:51 PDT 2009

Fritz Meissner wrote:

There's a column between the Title and Date column which displays a clock
symbol if the note has been scheduled, a bell if it has an alarm and nothing
if it is not scheduled and has no alarm, so unscheduled notes are
distinguishable. I must admit that I had never noticed this before you asked
the question, so I must consider it, shall we say, an unobtrusive feature.
Clicking at the top of that column will sort the scheduled from unscheduled
notes.
<<<

Erm, no it doesn't. Or at least not in any useful or intuitive way.

I had seen that column when I was experimenting, and dismissed it after
trying to work out what it was for. I just went back and experimented with
it again. I clicked on Dashboard and then on Starred, and got a list of my
tasks. All of them displayed dates in the Date column, as I noted
previously.

Clicking on the triage column header sorts them into Now-Later-Done.
Clicking on the Date column and the column you are describing does exactly
the same thing. Both columns sort the entries by date and, in both cases,
where a date contains items with alarms and items without alarms, the items
with alarms appear first.

So, in a strictly legalistic sense, the scheduled and unscheduled items are
separated, but not in any fashion I can imagine anyone finding useful :)

What's more the Date column contains two logically different kinds of
entries (the date an unscheduled item was created and the date a scheduled
item's alarm is due to go off), and the sort mechanism treats them both as
equivalent. Sorting by either column produces a result that treats an
unscheduled item created on May 4 as coming after items scheduled to have
their alarms triggered on May 4 and before the items scheduled to have their
alarms triggered on May 5.

IMHO this is illogical and confusing, and not a way of separating the two in
any useful way. Or am I missing a vital trick or two here?

Owen

--
www.owenkelly.net
www.marinetta.org.