[chandler-users] Server problems?

Jared Rhine jared at wordzoo.com
Sat May 2 02:31:32 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 12:57:32 Doug Wellington wrote:
> how is the hub funded?

There's a lot of different ways to look at this question.  Perhaps the most
accurate is to say it is "fully funded".  The hardware is paid for.  The
hardware is under warranty.  The colocation space, power, and bandwidth are
free.  Customer support labor is donated.  Sysadmin labor is donated.

After warranty expires, there is sufficient money in the bank to do hardware
repairs.  The colocation could kick us out but the operations of ISC seem
solid and the founder there is a mensch.  Donated labor is what it is, both a
blessing and a bit of an unknown in the long term.

> Should I set up my own hub to make sure I have continued service?

Always a personal decision.  The operations of the Hub seem stable and in many
ways less subject to the vagaries of the commercial world.  But darn it if
that colo hasn't dropped off twice in one month, grr.  If you're the sort who
has survived those two outages without losing your cool, you're likely to be
pretty happy with Hub availability in the long term.

If you are using any client that syncs, your overall risk seems pretty low
even if the Hub disappeared tomorrow.  You could install your own Cosmo,
create an account, and republish your collections there.

-- Jared