[chandler-users] The troublesome 'Remove' word: alternatives?

William K. Volkman wkvchandler at netshark.com
Tue Jan 13 13:30:09 PST 2009

Hello,
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 13:24, Eugene Eric Kim wrote:
> Why offer two choices at all? Why not only offer one choice --
> "Delete" -- and if the entry belongs in multiple collection, pop up a
> dialog asking if the user wants to remove the entry from all
> collections?

Please DO NOT add a pop-up, those encumber and slow down the triage
process and thus interfere with the goal of "Getting Things Done".

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Graham Perrin <G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > <http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/ChandlerGlossary#R>
> >

> >> difference between Remove and Delete gets users into trouble all the time

Surely not more than once.  I didn't even have documentation when I
started, the difference between remove and delete was clear from the
start.

> > I can't argue that the end result is troublesome.
> >
> > I can argue that one of the two expressions is simply too much like the
> > other, and we should rarely/never have to educate users of Chandler about
> > the way that Chandler works. (Chandler Philosophy stuff ... for the way that
> > humans work, and all that.)
> >
> > So. Give up on the word 'Remove'.

Please don't, it is semantically correct - remove the item from the
collection.   Confusion may be introduced by the shortcut, the delete
key (which actually was remove on the ANSI keyboard - but Microsoft had
other plans, like turning the delete key into the backspace).

> > Alternative expressions?
> >
> > De-collect
> > Un-collect
> > Un-link
> > De-link
> > Dissociate

If you really have change it I guess this would be the least
unpalatable.