[chandler-users] Notes, tasks, to do items, CalDAV: a widget, Chandler Hub and Google Calendar

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 13:07:07 PST 2009

Screen shots are at
<http://chandlerproject.org/Journal/GrahamPerrin20090104>.

As a collection, the shots are bulky and I suspect that for someone who is
unfamiliar with Chandler, they're not an ideal introduction.

The intention on this occasion is ultimately to demonstrate that:

* a handy desktop or dashboard widget can push a note to a server

* you can use a web browser to work with that note

* if the note ends up in a calendar — and if you have CalDAV client software
— the event can be pushed a step further, to be present in Google Calendar.

(I use the expression 'push' loosely.)

In the screen shots: where a CalDAV client is required, I use Chandler
Desktop. For movement of an event from one CalDAV server to another, any
other respectable CalDAV client may suffice.

Events aside, a precaution:

* for as long as Google Calendar does not support the storing of "To Do"
(VTODO) components, it may be wise to avoid any attempt to move notes or To
Do Items in that direction.

Comparing Google Calendar Beta + Google Mail Beta with Chandler Hub: as far
as I can tell, there's no way for a task in the Google Mail area to make its
way to Google Calendar. I guess that if the task is converted or copied to a
message in Google Mail, then (again thanks to Chandler Desktop) the
resulting note may be added to a collection for Google Calendar.

Regards
Graham