[chandler-users] Performance: Chandler desktop 1.0.3 RC1 on Mac OS X 10.5.6, Intel and PowerPC, profile on USB flash drive

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 07:29:10 PST 2009

Andi Vajda wrote:

> … the UI/data interaction model that was chosen. Any action in the UI can
> (and does) have lots (really, _lots_) of ramifications all the way down to
> the lowest level of the core.
>
> This is one of the things the ongoing rearchitecture effort is attempting
> to address. Blaming Python for Chandler's performance woes is barking up
> the wrong tree.

More than anything, I'm curious. Not complaining about anything in
particular. Just seeing how Chandler 1.x architecture behaves in a 'tight'
situation such as this, sharing work-arounds.

The flash drive + symlink approach is working well for me.

The PowerPC versus Intel debate is well-trodden, I shouldn't encourage it
here :)

Rob Stearn wrote:

> … if you're observing greatly increased speeds in PPC than in Intel, it
> isn't memory bandwidth thats causing it.
>
> From a troubleshooting POV, I would suspect:
>
> Disk defragmentation (yes it can happen on Macs too)
>
> Remaining Disk space
>
> An indication a fresh install is needed, multiple upgrades
>
> 10.3>10.4>10.5 especially bridging architectures leaves a lot of stuff you
> don't need.
>
> Something very wrong in the quality of the Python distro thats provided
>
> Another process taking up CPU.
>
> All or some of the above.
>
> From my experience PPC machines running Chandler are accompanied with the
> soft whistle of fans.

In my cases, I guess, in order of significance:

1. (most significant) layout of files on disk

2. great size of catalog of HFS+ volume, with RAM limited to 2 GB.

Possible, I guess, that Intel and PowerPC architectures have different
approaches to use of
/.hotfiles.btree
and that 'end' of a disk.

Within the very limited and highly fragmented free space, fragmentation of
swap files seems to make surprisingly little difference.

I'll review this topic in a few weeks, or sooner, when I get a new laptop :)

Regards
Graham