[chandler-users] Best way to keep 2 workstations in sync

Fritz Meissner meissner.fritz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 05:04:17 PST 2009

2009/2/23 Tony Hacche <agh at nosc.ja.net>

> Fritz,
>
> Thanks for the reply ...
>
>  Just subscribe to those collections from the desktop on each computer
>> involved. See the Getting started Guide
>> http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/GetStarted#Share%20Collections . I
>> currently have my data synced between Windows XP at home and work, Ubuntu
>> 9.04 at home and my Asus Aspire One running Linux and it works fine.
>>

> I created the collections on my work Chandler Desktop and then published
> them on my Chandler Hub. Does this make a difference or can I just subscribe
> to them on my home Chandler Desktop and then they all are able to sync?

All sharing goes via a Chandler server; you can set up your own, or use the
OSAF one which is the default - I'm using the OSAF one and it seems to work
fine. So you have to publish the collections as you have done, which puts
them on the server, then you can subscribe from home and sync with the
server. If I remember correctly when I was initially setting up Chandler on
my various computers, I set up the first one, then saved a .chex file from
there and loaded that into the other machines after installing Chandler. I'm
not sure if that was essential or just to save time with the initial
synchronising, but it worked well.

> Also, what happens to alarms for notes? I notice in Chandler Hub that you
> do not appear to be able to set and alarms for a note. If I set an alarm for
> a note on my work Chandler Desktop, sync it to my Chandler Hub and then with
> my home Chandler Desktop, is the alarm preserved during the process so that
> it appears on my home Chandler Desktop?

I don't use the Hub web interface much so I haven't noticed this
shortcoming, but I know that the Hub lacks some capabilities - it may be
that this is one of them. Also note that when you publish a collection, you
have to select what you want to share; alarms is one of the optional items,
so check if that collection has sharing alarms turned on. Sharing alarms
does work for me.

> Thanks,
>
> Tony

Regards,