[chandler-users] Performance: comparing Intel and PowerPC versions of Chandler desktop 1.0.3 RC1 on Mac OS X 10.5.6

William K. Volkman wkvchandler at netshark.com
Wed Feb 18 15:02:22 PST 2009

Hello,
On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 13:32, Graham Perrin wrote:
> Rob Stearn wrote:
> > Sorry just to check:
> > Mac mini circa 1995?
> > MacBook Pro circa 1996?
> >
> > Sure about that?
> I was exactly ten years out. Just checking that you're paying attention :)

Last time I really analyzed these systems (2002) the PPC had about 8X
the memory bandwidth capability of the Intel architecture.   So I would
expect a memory intensive application to run about 8X faster on that
older architecture.  Like the old betamax story, the better technology
doesn't always win, that is particularly true of the Wintel consortium,
they just take over by making mediocrity ubiquitous.   Apple switched to
Intel for part availability, not because it was better hardware.

If you compare the memory performance of your circa 2002 2.0Ghz Intel
Xeon processor you'll find it about 4X faster than the shiny new Core
Duo you just bought.  Marketing works.

HTH,
William.