[chandler-users] Chandler doesn't support my POP account

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Thu Oct 30 10:12:37 PDT 2008

On 29 Oct, 2008, at 08:09, Mimi Yin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found this definition of UIDL: http://www.pcmag.com/
> encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=UIDL&i=53361,00.asp
> (1) (Unique ID Listing) A POP3 mail server function that assigns a
> unique number to each incoming mail message. This allows mail to be
> left on the server after it has been downloaded to the user. Both the
> mail client and the POP server must support this feature.
>
> I find it hard to believe that your mail system *doesn't* support
> UIDL. I will append this to the list of questions I've sent to
> Jeffrey and Grant.

UIDL is considered optional(*) for POP servers. The vast majority of
servers written since about 1995 support it, because it reduces the
amount of network traffic clients need to perform to fetch your new
mail. It looks as if godaddy's server is one of the few that doesn't,
unfortunately.

I suspect it would be a fair amount of work to get Chandler to work
with such servers, unfortunately.

--Grant

(*) Section 9 of RFC 1939 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1939.html> if
anyone is following along at home.