[chandler-users] Slow operation

Jared Rhine jared at wordzoo.com
Tue Nov 25 12:11:44 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 12:14 -0700, Al Maki wrote:
> The constraint that I've wondered about  when using Chandler is the amount of virtual
> memory used by Python. Right now, on this machine, Python is using 900 megs of virtual
> memory, more than twice the size of its nearest competitor. I think if a person had
> several big apps running and was tight on memory it might affect Chandler performance.

Yeah, Chandler allocates a lot of memory, but these days, that's pretty
divorced from real performance of an application.  Resident set size is
what matters, and whether the box is swapping.  I often have really big
apps (virtual memory) but tiny set sizes.  Heck, my IM client is 1.4GB
of virtual memory but only 70MB resident, and this box never swaps.

You can have lots of objects floating around, and memory that's assigned
but never used, in an app without it being a bad thing, just vaguely
fat.  What's your resident set size of Chandler right now?

Note, I'm not excusing Chandler's performance profile, just saying that
virtual memory specifically is not a good metric, particular with a app
based around lots of libraries.

-- Jared