[chandler-users] [UAG] [Proposal] Web Forum for Chandler Users

Fritz Meissner meissner.fritz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 06:59:23 PST 2008

2008/11/7 Fritz Meissner <meissner.fritz at gmail.com>

> 2008/11/6 Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com>
>
>> I am a 100% with Fritz on his analysis there. Googlegroups might end
>> up being a duplicate of this list. I think we should really think
>> about a forum based app.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> Otherwise, I think keeping this list and moving interesting things to
>> the wiki in form of a knoledge database is probably the best option.
>>

> One place where forums shine is where there is a new problem which crops
> up, say a new release with a regression or a change to something else which
> makes Chandler stop working for a lot of people. With a forum, the first
> person to see it posts, it gets discussed a bit and a solution is posted.
> Within the next few days many other people have the same problem, look
> around for an answer, find the forum and see the answer still on the first
> page; problem solved with no need for everyone to post individually.
>
> With the mailing list, people who are not already subscribed miss the
> initial posts, so when they get to the user mailing list they don't realise
> this is already solved and post afresh. One way round this is to have a
> direct link to the Markmail mirror of the users' list although this dosn't
> have a concise display of current topics on the front page. It will work for
> people who are prepared to dig, but the average person who just wants to
> take the easiest route, will probably post the question again.
>
> Fritz
>
> PS : another good feature of forums is that when you have another thought
just after you posted, you can go back and edit your post, instead of having
to send everyone yet another e-mail :-)  . It occurred to me to ask if it
would be possible to get Gmane to mirror this list as well as the dev one,
since their initial view is a threaded topic list that lets you see what has
been happening recently very quickly.