[chandler-users] Unable to install on OpenSuse 10.3

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Tue May 27 09:35:58 PDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 3:35 AM, David Anderson <lists at pern.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:04:50 -0700
> Andi Vajda <vajda at osafoundation.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 26, 2008, at 4:55 AM, David Anderson <lists at pern.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Building Chandler on a 64-bit OpenSuse 10.3 system using:
>>> =======
>>> $ make all binaries install
>>> $ cd ../internal
>>> $ make all binaries install
>>> $ cd ../chandler
>>> $ make install purge HOST=nosuchhost
>>> =======
>>>
>>> gives the following on the last stage:
>>> =======
>>> release/icu/lib/libicuuc.so.36.0
>>> touch /home/dma/chandler/chandler/release/icu-
>>> release-3.6-2.tar.gz.inst
>>> tar -C /home/dma/chandler/chandler
>>> -xvzf ../downloads/openssl-release-0.9.8d-3.tar.gz
>>> release/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 release/lib/libcrypto.so
>>> release/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
>>> release/lib/libssl.so
>>> touch /home/dma/chandler/chandler/release/openssl-
>>> release-0.9.8d-3.tar.gz.inst
>>> tar -C /home/dma/chandler/chandler/release
>>> -xvzf ../downloads/openjdk-7-ea-j2re-b21-3.tar.gz
>>>
>>> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
>>> tar: Child returned status 1
>>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>>> make: ***
>>> [/home/dma/chandler/chandler/release/openjdk-7-ea-j2re-
>>> b21-3.tar.gz.inst]
>>> Error 2
>>> ========
>>>
>>> Looking in the downloads directory shows both
>>> openjdk-7-ea-j2re-b21-3.tar.gz and
>>> openjdk-7-ea-j2re-b23-3.tar.gz
>>> The b21 version cannot be opened, whereas the b23 version is fine.
>>>
>>> What can I do next?
>>
>> Use the 64-bit binaries that were built for 64-bit ubuntu gutsy and
>> hope they're compatible. If they're not, you could either build your
>> own or change the PyLucene build to use a Sun JDK shipped by your
>> Linux distro instead.
>>
>> Andi..
>>

> This was a build from scratch - at least it seemed to be according to
> the sparse documentation on the site.
>
> The problem seems to lie in the corrupt openjdk package - how is it
> created? It seems to be a download.

See external/openjdk/README for how these packages are created. It
would be a lot easier to use a Sun JDK package (and change external/
PyLucene/Makefile accordingly to use it) than to do a build of openjdk
from scratch were the existing Ubuntu 64 gutsy ones incompatible with
your platform.

> I was hoping that one of the developers would give some hints, and
> then
> I could get on with working towards
> Suse binaries

That's exactly why I responded. I made these packages.

Andi..