[chandler-users] Tasks with Start/End <--> Chandler Starred Events

Andre Mueninghoff andre_mueninghoff at fastmail.fm
Mon May 19 16:27:16 PDT 2008

Mimi Yin wrote:
> To reframe the question: If you create a Starred - Event on the
> Calendar. Would you prefer that it showed up on your Calendar in
> Lightening or as a Task with a Start and End date?

The only reason I would star-stamp an Event is to indicate that there is
a task component for me in the notes section of the Chandler item. I do
not think about this item as a "Starred - Event on the Calendar". Rather
I think about it as an Event that is also stamped as a Task. Were I to
think about a Starred-Event as a some kind of differentiated Event item,
I would be left with having no idea what or where my task items are in
Chandler.

If the Star stamp had been added to the choices for stamps instead of
having replaced the Task stamp, I would possibly have some use for the
Star stamp as a way to indicate some level of heightened priority or
urgency. If this were the case, I could envision having both
Starred-Events and Starred-Tasks, and, for that matter,
Starred-Events-Tasks. In such a configuration, a possibility for a GTD
implementation might be to use the Star stamp to indicate one's Hard
Landscape (must-do items for today).

I believe I agree with a significant portion, or at least a vocal
portion, of the Chandler user base that the Star-stamp in Chandler is
merely a visual change, in spite apparently of the well-intentioned
goals of the design team. The semantics have remained the same, for me
anyway. The Star icon replaced the Check-Mark icon that was previously
the representation for the Task stamp. In this regard, it is impractical
to not veer the discussion back towards the issue of the Task versus the
Star, which is a different, albeit highly related and critical issue
that, in my opinion, will have an large impact on the long-term
viability of Chandler.

-Andre