[chandler-users] Regarding the brazillian portuguese translation

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Mon May 19 10:56:34 PDT 2008

On 16 May, 2008, at 13:47, Brian Kirsch wrote:

> Hi Fulvio,
>
>> However, one problem that I couldn't resolve is how to avoid
>> ambiguities.
>> In translating strings, you don't know where these strings appear:
>> how to avoid that two different entries in the same menu have the
>> same shortcut? or that a global shortcut (eg. Ctrl-T for Today)
>> conflicts with other functions?
>>
>> Do you have any guidelines?
>
> That is an excellent point and one that greatly frustrates me with
> mnemonics.
>
> I wish I had a brilliant answer for you but the reality is with
> mnemonics these
> problems occur all the time.
>
> I personally don't like mnemonics as they interfere with the
> localization process
> but that is the default convention for GUI apps so one has to work
> with what is
> given.
>
> Ways to improve the process would be more detailed localizer
> comments in the
> pot templates detailing where the string and its mnemonic are used
> as well as increased QA and functional testing.

Hi, Brian and Fulvio,

I have been noticing some of these issues lately, both in English and
when integrating translations. I recently checked in a functional-
level test that performs many sanity checks on menu mnemonics and
shortcuts, and this can be used when testing translations. I'll update
the LocalizationProject wiki page with details on how to use it.

--Grant

PS: I was tempted a while back to write code to assign mnemonic
shortcuts automatically in Chandler, but by the looks of things that
would violate a patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6968537.html