[chandler-users] Regarding the brazillian portuguese translation

Brian Kirsch bkirsch at osafoundation.org
Fri May 16 13:47:48 PDT 2008

Hi Fulvio,

> However, one problem that I couldn't resolve is how to avoid
> ambiguities.
> In translating strings, you don't know where these strings appear:
> how to avoid that two different entries in the same menu have the
> same shortcut? or that a global shortcut (eg. Ctrl-T for Today)
> conflicts with other functions?
>
> Do you have any guidelines?

That is an excellent point and one that greatly frustrates me with
mnemonics.

I wish I had a brilliant answer for you but the reality is with
mnemonics these
problems occur all the time.

I personally don't like mnemonics as they interfere with the
localization process
but that is the default convention for GUI apps so one has to work
with what is
given.

Ways to improve the process would be more detailed localizer comments
in the
pot templates detailing where the string and its mnemonic are used
as well as increased QA and functional testing.

-Brian